Banning ‘conversion therapy’
So-called “conversion therapy” is the pseudoscientific practice of attempting to “cure” people of their sexuality or gender identity using physical, psychological or spiritual methods. Despite the warnings of medical, scientific, and government institutions around the world that these practices are ineffective, people are still bullied or coerced to take part in these barbaric actions. The result is significant psychological and physical trauma that can ruin people’s lives.
We at the Global Order of Satan stand firmly against the practice of “conversion therapies”, for three principal reasons:
- “Conversion therapy” is rooted in the concept, often born of conservative and/or religious viewpoints, that LGBTQ+ people’s sexualities or genders are an illness and can be “cured”. We find these concepts to be prejudiced and misguided. They violate our second pillar, which states that we “respect the inviolable body, autonomous will, and sovereign right of every individual to guide their own life and being; remembering that enjoyment of these rights is predicated on respect for the same in others”. We proudly state that gay and trans rights are human rights, and everyone should be loved and respected for who they are.
- There is a significant weight of scientific proof that “conversion therapy” is ineffectual in achieving its aims and actually only serves to oppress those whom it is inflicted upon, doing significant damage in the process. This stands against our third pillar, which states that “science, evidence, reason, and critical thinking should guide our beliefs about our universe”. We believe that no official body who claims to follow scientific advice should ever tolerate its practice.
- Victims of “conversion therapy” cannot claim to have agreed to consenting to such practices, as they are coerced with the impression of their supposed aberration, and threatened with ostracism and shunning from their families and social groups. Therefore, any practice of conversion therapy is impressed without consent and stands against our founding first pillar principle of promoting “self fulfilment and personal understanding”. People will only grow if they are allowed to define their own path and not have it dictated to them by others.
Despite this, only a handful of countries have outlawed the practice of “conversion therapy”; while others, including the United Kingdom, France, and Norway, have promised bans on conversion therapy, but failed to deliver them. We therefore are joining our efforts with people in those countries to raise awareness of “conversion therapies” and push for a more defined set of bans against these barbaric practices in the hope that other countries will follow suit.
- If you live in the UK, please sign the petition on the UK Government site to advocate for a ban on “conversion therapies” for both gay and trans people.
- UK Equalities Minister met anti-trans groups ahead of plans to renege on their promises to ban “conversion therapies”.
- “I still have flashbacks” – one man’s account of going through “conversion therapy”.
UK - The Rise of Far-right Christian Fundamentalism in British Schools
Back on June 9th of this year and then again on the following day, GOS UK noted the troubling rise in influence that extreme religious groups were beginning to have over the education of British scho...Read More
Media coverage of "satanic cults"
It was really disappointing today to see the Guardian join the ranks of media outlets which have fallen prey to the lure of exploiting the perceived "shock factor" of Satanism to spice up their headl...Read More
Criticism of the UK Online Safety Bill
After much debate and delay, the UK Parliament has today finally passed the Online Safety Bill (1). The aims of the Bill in its original form, scribbled on the back of a sandwich packet by Prof Lo...Read More
World Day Against Witch Hunts
Yesterday, 10th August was International World Day Against Witch Hunts. Hammer of Witches, published in 1486 by the German Dominican, theologian and inquisitor Heinrich Kramer (1), states: "......Read More
Satanism in the media – an open letter to the BBC and UK media outlets
Today the BBC released a segment on the horrific actions of a disturbed individual who murdered two women in what he claimed was a part of a “Satanic” pact. The man in question was shown to s...Read More
Satanism, The Illuminati And The Faustian Pact
The Satanic path is one of individualism and personal growth, and every Satanist will have their own reasons for walking it as well as their own experiences while on the journey. There are a few even...Read More